Big & Bigger Basketweave Wrap by Churchmouse Yarns
“In two gauges.”
We wanted a piece with lots of squishy texture and glorious, lavish proportions—one we could fling grandly over our shoulders or wrap up in indoors or out. Then we scaled it down a little, both in size and gauge. But you can knit either size in either gauge so your yarn choices are vast!
We knit a Big Basketweave Wrap in DK-weight Rowan Moordale, and a Bigger Basketweave Wrap in Blue Sky Fibers Extra.
This four-page pattern includes:
- Color photography by Laura Gehring
- Special Techniques
- Swatching for Gauge and Fabric (in basketweave stitch)
- An easy-to-read chart for basketweave stitch
- Instructions for blocking and finishing your piece
- Big Wrap: Approx. 16 x 72"/40.5 x 183cm, after blocking.
- Bigger Wrap: Approx. 24 x 80"/61 x 203cm, after blocking.
- NOTE: Details given for big wrap; bigger wrap in parentheses ( ). When only one set of details is given, it applies to both sizes.
- DK-weight version: Approx. 1320 (2200) yds/1207 (2012)m DK-weight yarn.
- Big wrap shown in 6 skeins Rowan Moordale (251 yds/230m) each), Color 006.
- Aran-weight version: Approx. 1260 (2100) yds/1152 (1920)m Aran-weight yarn.
- Bigger wrap shown in 10 skeins Blue Sky Fibers Extra (218 yds/199m each), Color 3526, Ocean Deep.
Needles & Notions
- DK-weight version: US 4 (3.5mm) needles, or size to obtain gauge.
- Aran-weight version: US 7 (4.5mm) needles, or size to obtain gauge.
- Both gauges: 2 locking markers.
- Darning needle to finish.
- Blocking wires and/or T-pins.
- DK-weight version: Approx. 27 sts/40 rows = 4"/10cm in pattern, after blocking.
- Aran-weight version: Approx. 21 sts/28 rows = 4"/10cm in pattern, after blocking.